Plan for Distributing Emergency Financial Aid Funds
In our efforts to continue aiding our students, the college chose to distribute an additional $500 to students that applied and were awarded CARES funds previously.
Applications for CARES Act Grant funds are closed.
Northwest Mississippi Community College (NWCC) received $2,893,508 in emergency financial aid via the CARES Federal Economic Stimulus Package. Of the funds received $2,868,900 has been disbursed to date to 2,505 students.
Award Notification and Distribution
Students were awarded CARES Act Grant funds through two application rounds. The funds were disbursed through BankMobile. The college redistributed $500 to students that applied and were awarded CARES funds.
Emergency grants were made available to NWCC students who applied and:
- Incurred expenses related to the disruption of NWCC campus activities related to COVID-19;
- Were enrolled at NWCC during the spring 2020 semester in at least one face-to-face class, face-to-face lab, or clinical course on or prior to March 13, 2020;
- Students must have been enrolled in at least 6 credit hours;
- Students have maintained satisfactory academic progress for the spring 2020 semester;
- Filed a 2019-2020 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) OR were eligible to file a FAFSA on or before applying for financial aid emergency funds in addition to meeting all of the following criteria:
- Citizen or eligible non-citizen that is otherwise eligible to receive federal Title IV aid;
b. Assigned a valid Social Security number;
c. Registered with the Selective Service (if required);
d. Not have a conviction for the possession or sale of illegal drugs;
e. Completed a high school diploma, General Educational Development (GED), or approved home school diploma;
f. Enrolled in a degree-seeking program during the spring 2020 semester;
g. Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) guidelines;
h. Not be in default with any federal student loans or owe an over-payment on any federal grants.
The applications were available to NWCC students between May 18, 2020 and June 5, 2020; and from June 22, 2020 to June 30, 2020. The final disbursement was made on July 31, 2020.
Students who submitted an application and were eligible for Student Emergency Financial Aid during the application periods were awarded a base amount of $650. An additional $500 was awarded to the students that received grant funds in Round 1 and Round 2 of grant disbursement.
The total estimated number of NWCC students who were eligible was 4,475.
(Applications for CARES Act Grant funds are closed.)
Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund-Institutional Portion
$2,893,508 was awarded to the college for institutional portions.
Strengthening Institutional Programs
$286,129 was awarded to the college for institutional use.
Note: Please see the attached quarterly reports for the institutional funds.
Quarterly Report ending 09/30/2020
Quarterly Report ending 12/31/2020
Quarterly Report ending 03/31/2021
Quarterly Report ending 06/30/2021