- General Information
- Resources & Forms
- Step 1 - FAFSA ID
- Step 2 - FAFSA Application
- Step 3 - Mississippi Grants and County Grants
- Step 4 - Scholarships
- Step 5 - Workstudy
- Step 6 - Verification
- Step 7 - Veterans
- Step 8 - Loans
- Step 9 - Check myNWCC
- Senatobia campus Yalobusha Hall, Suite 103 Telephone: (662) 562-3271
- DeSoto Campus Suite 233 Telephone (662) 996-1939
- Oxford Campus Suite 100 Telephone (662) 238-7944
DEADLINESSAP APPEAL PRIORITY DEADLINES
- Financial Aid Guide
- Northwest offers many scholarships and it's easy to apply online.
- You may also be interested in Work Study.
- Federal Student Loan information is available here.
- FAFSA Help Video
- Gainful Employment
- General Consumer Information
- Important Dates
- Payment Schedule
- Request IRS Non Filing letter
- Request IRS Tax Transcript
- 1098T Information (Tax)
- Return of Title IV Funds
- FINANCIAL AID SAP APPEAL FORM
- FERPA Release
- Low Income Worksheet 2019-2020
- Low Income Worksheet 2020-2021
- Statement of Marital Separation 2019-2020
- Statement of Marital Separation 2020-2021
- Federal Direct Loan Acceptance
- Loan Reduction Form
- Loan Cancellation Form
- In School Deferment
- Payment Schedule
- Create your FAFSA ID.
- Go to https://fsaid.ed.gov.
- If you’re a DEPENDENT student, Parent MUST create FSA ID as well. Click here for how to determine your dependency status.
- Student and Parent CANNOT use the same email address for FSA ID’s.
- Write down FSA ID and password in a safe place.
- For help on FSA ID view the video here.
- After you have obtained your FSA ID, go to the next step.
- Federal Grants (Pell Grant and SEOG)
- Mississippi Tuition Assistance Grant
- County Tuition Assistance Program
- Work Study
- Federal Student Loans
- Click here to complete your FAFSA online form.
- TIP – Use the LINK TO IRS option under Financial Information to electronically link your income tax information (Both parent and student, if Dependent).
- Approximately 5 days after completing the FAFSA, go to NWCC Verification to create your Verification Account.
- If you are a returning student you will use your existing Verification Account.
- If you are a NEW student, click on the Financial Aid tab then Verification to create your account. If you’re a DEPENDENT student your parent will need to create an account as well with HIS/HER email.
- Use a preferred email address and cell phone number for email and text notification options about important documents we may need from you. Also include your NWCC Student ID.
- All future financial aid correspondence will be directed through your new verification account, myNWCC & NWCC Webmail. Be sure to check these accounts FREQUENTLY.
- When the FAFSA form is complete go to the next step.
Click for more information
- Mississippi Tuition Assistance Grant (MTAG) Deadline: September 15
- Mississippi Eminent Scholars Grant (MESG) Deadline: September 15
- Higher Education legislative Plan (HELP) Deadline: March 31
If you are not applying for scholarships go to the next step:
All scholarship recipients must complete the Northwest Application for Admission and file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (www.fafsa.gov). All scholarships are awarded prior to the fall semester, and a student can receive only one type of scholarship award. Academic scholarship (Presidential, June S. Gardner, Leadership, etc.) forms must be completed by April 1. A scholarship may be altered by the amount of Federal financial aid awarded. Scholarship recipients must maintain full-time status for at least six weeks. PLEASE NOTE SCHOLARSHIPS ARE ONLY AVAILABLE TO MISSISSIPPI RESIDENTS. You may apply for two types of scholarships: One from Section A and one from section B. A separate form for each is required.
SECTION AWhich scholarship should you apply for? (only one from this section) If you have a combined ACT score of 20 or more, apply for the Presidential Scholarship here. If you have a combined ACT score of 15-19, apply for the Leadership Scholarship here. If you are a GED/HiSET graduate, apply for the GED/HiSET Scholarship here. If you are age 25 or more apply for the Adult Scholarship here.
SECTION BAny student may apply for a foundation scholarship. They may apply for the Foundation on its own, or in addition to applying for any ONE of the scholarships in Section A. Apply here.
FULL DETAILS & SPECIAL SCHOLARSHIPSADULT SCHOLARSHIP Requirements: These scholarships are limited in number and awarded to Mississippi residents. Applicants must be 25 years of age. This scholarship will match money paid by the student up to $750 each semester for a total of $3,000. Students must take at least 2 (3 HR) classes to receive the scholarship. Special circumstances for less than 3 HRS will be considered on a case by case basis. Students must also maintain a 2.0 during their enrollment. Scholarship applications are reviewed by a committee and awarded based on financial need, credit hours previously earned and academic achievement. Deadlines: Fall semester - apply by July 1st. Spring semester - apply by November 1st. Amount: up to $750 Toward: tuition per semester. Does not cover books and fees. Payable for 2 years (Fall & Spring semesters). Apply online.
GED/HiSET - HOWARD CARPENTER HIGH SCHOOL EQUIVALENCY SCHOLARSHIP Requirements: GED/HiSET graduate, enrolled in 15 or more hours. Admissions Application. GED score 600 or more. Amount: $750 Toward: tuition, room and board. Does not cover books and fees. Apply online
PRESIDENTIAL SCHOLARSHIP Requirements: MS resident, ACT score 20 or higher, enrolled in 15 or more hours, must complete FAFSA, must maintain 2.5 cumulative GPA. Admissions Application. Deadline: April 1, 2020. Amount: ACT 20-22: up to $750, ACT 23-28: up to $1500, ACT 29 & above: up to $3150. Toward: tuition, room and board. Does not cover books and fees. Apply online.
LEADERSHIP SCHOLARSHIP Requirements: MS resident, ACT score 15-19 . "B" High school average, enrolled in 15 or more hours, must complete FAFSA, must maintain 2.5 cumulative GPA. Admissions Application. Resume showing leadership qualities. Letter of recommendation. Deadline: April 1, 2020. Amount: up to $500. Toward: tuition, room and board. Does not cover books and fees. Apply online.
FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP Requirements: MS resident, enrolled in 15 or more hours, must complete FAFSA, must maintain 2.5 cumulative GPA. Admissions Application. Letter of recommendation. Resume. Deadline: April 1, 2020. Toward: tuition, room and board. Can cover books. Amount: varies. Apply here.
The three scholarships below are awarded directly.
If you do not want to apply for Work-Study funding, go straight to the next step.
What is Work-Study? The work-study program provides on-campus jobs for students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses.Positions are available in various locations on campus. See below for job descriptions list.
How much will I make? Your work-study wages will be $7.25 per hour. The school will pay you directly at least once a month. It is the student’s responsibility to present their student identification card to pick up their check from the Business Office or endorse it to the school to credit their account.
Can I work as many hours as I want? No. The amount you earn cannot exceed your total work-study award. When awarding work-study, all financial aid (scholarships, loans, grants, etc.) is considered. Not everyone who applies will qualify.
How do I apply for work-study? A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must first be completed at www.fafsa.ed.gov and you must indicate that you are interested in work-study.
What if I am awarded work-study? Students assigned work-study must complete paperwork with signatures from student and supervisor. You will have one week to provide this information. If not provided in that time frame, your work-study will be removed. If you are awarded and choose to decline the award, you must notify the Financial Aid Office immediately. Please click below for a pay schedule or time sheets.
You MUST wait 5 days after filing your FAFSA form before creating your Verification account.Students Create your Verification account | Students with existing accounts login here
Parents Create your Verification account | Parent with existing accounts login here
Since the U.S. Department of Education randomly selects FAFSA’s for Verification, you must create an online Verification Account, at Northwest MS Community College
After your account has been created you will immediately see any forms that must be completed. Follow the instructions and once you have completed all requirements click on the Finish button. We will review your documents and your Verification account will alert you if there is any more information we need. Please respond quickly to any text message or email from Verification so that your application is not held up.
Important note - DO NOT SEND YOUR INFORMATION BY EMAIL TO US. Always login to your Verification account and only submit your forms there.
Congress has passed the Forever GI Bill®, please follow the link to see how your benefits may be effected. Forever GI Bill – Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act. More information: Forever GI Bill Factsheet
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
VA Certifying Official (SCO) for all NWCC campuses:
Jessica Poole, Financial Aid Counselor
Telephone: (662) 280-6143
Physical Location: Desoto Campus 5197 WE Ross Pkwy Southaven, MS 38671 Suite 233
Senatobia Campus Contacts:
Lekeisha Murry, SCO and Financial Aid Director Email: email@example.com
Physical Location: Yalobusha Hall, Suite 103
Michael Johnson, Financial Aid Counselor Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone: (662) 562-3693 Physical Location: Yalobusha Hall, Suite 103
FIRST TIME RECIPIENT
To apply for your VA benefits, go to www.vets.gov. Approximately 4 weeks after applying you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility in the mail. We must have a copy of this.
***If you are in the National Guard and live in MS you may be eligible for an additional funding source. Please follow the link for more information: https://ms.ng.mil/resources/education/Pages/SEAP.aspx
NOTE: You may have to hit “advanced” then “proceed to site” to open.
In order to certify your VA benefits at Northwest, we need:
- ALL your prior college transcripts sent to the Office of Admissions and Records in Senatobia.
- An official copy of your Military Service Transcripts – ordering options below This is not necessary for dependents of veterans, unless you have a service record.
- A copy of your Certificate of Eligibility
- A completed and submitted online Request for VA certification
*** If you are a Post 9/11 recipient and have already applied for benefits you can access your Certificate of Eligibility at www.ebenefits.va.gov. Under the Manage tab is Education, then Post 9/11 enrollment status. Print and scan to your desktop; you will be asked to attach it to the online request to be certified.
The Certificate of Eligibility only has to be submitted during your initial certification unless your chapter changes. The Request for VA certification must be submitted EACH SEMESTER that you plan to receive VA benefits. If you are transferring from another school, you must submit a VA Form 1995 to the VA. If you are a Dependent of a Veteran, you must submit a VA Form 5495. These forms are below OR you can submit them online at www.vets.gov.
ORDERING A MILITARY TRANSCRIPT:
ARMY, NAVY, MARINES, AND NATIONAL GUARD
1. You can order your transcript at https://jst.doded.mil (Hit “advanced” then “proceed to site” to create an account and follow instructions).
2. Fill out a JST Release form here. You can either email this form to either contact above OR drop off at any campus financial aid office.
AIR FORCE: Follow the blue link Order Air Force Transcript for ways to order your air force transcript.
Every Active, Guard and Reserve Soldier is capable of earning a college degree. For more information about how TA works please contact Jessica Poole (662) 280-6143.
Please complete an online Request for VA certification for the desired semester to be certified.
Note: If you have skipped semesters and attended other schools we must have those transcripts before we can certify any new semesters with us.
You need to verify your attendance every month before payment is issued if you are receiving one of the following:
- Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (Chapter 30)
- Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
- Reserve Educational Assistance Program – REAP (Chapter 1607)
QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR BENEFITS
If you have ANY questions about your benefits once you are certified you can contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551. Veterans Forms Section
Click here for the loan application form.