Northwest Mississippi Community College Logo

Military and Veteran Services

Northwest Mississippi Community College is committed to serving our military personnel, veterans, and their families. In 2020, Northwest received a designation as one of the top Military Friendly institutions in the nation by We encourage you to visit the Financial Aid Office if you need assistance.


Thumbnail of VA Education programs for Veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces

Join the Northwest Chapter of
 Student Veterans of America!

Description: The purpose of this organization is to provide veterans, service members, dependents, survivors, and all other members of the College’s military community with the resources, support and advocacy needed to succeed at Northwest Mississippi Community College as students, faculty, staff, and alumni. Additionally, our goal is to be a force of change and multiplier at the College in regards to veterans’ affairs.

Email us at

Club Interest Form

Enrollment verification is now a requirement for Post-9/11 GI Bill® students to verify that they have remained enrolled in the same courses or training each month. Students who receive MHA/kicker payments will have their payments withheld if they fail to verify or report that they are no longer enrolled in their courses or training. To streamline the process, VA is providing the options to verify enrollment easily and securely via text message, email, and online at More information can be found here Chapter 33 Enrollment Verification Information

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

VA Certifying Official (SCO) for all Northwest campuses:

Jessica Poole, VA School Certifying Official (Contact for all Education Benefits)
Telephone: (662) 280-6143
To apply for your VA benefits, go to Approximately 4 weeks after applying you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility in the mail. We must have a copy of this.
NOTE: If you are in the Mississippi National Guard and a registered voter you may be eligible for an additional state funded source. Please follow the link for more information:
In order to certify your VA benefits at Northwest, we need:

  1. ALL your prior college transcripts sent to the Office of Admissions and Records in Senatobia.
  2. An official copy of your Military Service Transcripts (see below). This is not necessary for dependents of veterans, unless the dependent has a service record.
  3. A copy of your Certificate of Eligibility
  4. A completed and submitted online Request for VA certification

NOTE: If you are a post 9/11 recipient and have already applied for benefits you can access your Certificate of Eligibility at
1. You can order your transcript at (click “advanced” then “proceed to site” to create an account and follow instructions).
2. Fill out a JST Release form here. You can either email this form to either contact above OR drop off at any campus financial aid office.
Follow the blue link Order Air Force Transcript for ways to order your Air Force transcript.
Tuition Assistance (TA) funds are a unique, distinct source of financial aid available to eligible Service members as a first payer against tuition charges. Service members must receive approval from an Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within the Military Service prior to enrolling to assure TA funds are available for use. The application process for applying for TA funds starts with your Education Service Office (ESO). The application to apply for TA can be found here Tuition Assistance Army Ignited
Please complete an online Request for VA certification for the desired semester to be certified.
NOTE: If you have skipped semesters and attended other schools, we must have those transcripts before we can certify any new semesters with us.
You need to verify your attendance every month before payment is issued if you are receiving one of the following:

  • Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (Chapter 30)
  • Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program – REAP (Chapter 1607)

Follow the link to enter the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) to verify your enrollment online. You can also call 1-877 VA-ECERT (1-877-823-2378) to verify by telephone.

Thumbnail of Verifying Enrollment for Veterans Educational Programs

If you have ANY questions about your benefits once you are certified, you can contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551.

This institution is approved to offer GI Bill® educational benefits by the Mississippi State Approving Agency.