General Information – Financial Aid

Who Is Eligible For Aid And Who Should Apply?

There is some type of aid for everyone.
The only way to determine which type of aid each student is eligible for is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If a student is not eligible for the Pell grant, he/she could be eligible for other types of aid awarded by Northwest Mississippi Community College. In order for the Financial Aid Office to determine which type of other aid the students are eligible for such as loans, work-study, etc., the Financial Aid Office has to have a completed current FAFSA on file.

Eligibility requirements for most financial aid programs are listed below. You must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen, national, or permanent resident alien
  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a degree program (Financial Aid may be adjusted based on the number of semester hours student is enrolled)
  • Make satisfactory academic progress toward a degree
  • Register with the Selective Service Administration, if required
  • Not be in default on a federal or institutional loan or owe a repayment on a previous financial aid award received at Northwest Mississippi Community College or other institutions

Dependent vs. Independent The U.S. government has established criteria for classifying financial aid applicants as dependent or independent.

  • If you check YES to any item in Step Three on the FAFSA, you are considered independent for financial aid purposes. Your need is evaluated on your own and (if applicable) your spouse’s income and assets. NOTE: You will be asked to provide written documentation to support your answers.
  • If you are classified dependent, your parents’ assets and income AND your own are considered when determining your need.
  • Changes in Family Circumstances
  • If any of the following circumstances apply to you/your family, check with your financial aid office immediately to see if this might affect your financial aid application.
  • Divorce of parents, if dependent
  • Marriage or remarriage of single parents, if dependent
  • Divorce from your spouse
  • Death of a parent/spouse
  • Loss of employment
  • Loss  of other income or benefits

Federal Verification: What happens if YOU are selected?
Each year, about 30 percent of students’ financial aid applications nationwide are chosen for “verification,” a process of confirming data supplied by the applicant and/or parents. If your application is selected for verification, you will receive a letter from us explaining what documents to provide.

Do not submit documents unless requested by the Financial Aid Office.
You need to ensure that all documents requested from you are signed where indicated. If your application is selected, aid funds cannot be disbursed to you until you have submitted all requested documents, the accuracy of your information has been verified, and your file is complete.


  • Turn in all documents when requested. Files are not completed without the requested documents.
  • Be sure all documents are signed by student, if independent, and by student and a parent if you are determined to be a dependent student.
  • Be sure your current name and social security number are on all documents that you submit and that the information matches the admissions information in the Registrar’s office.
  • Keep photocopies of all information that you submitted.
  • REMEMBER:  Students/Parents who are required to file a federal income tax return MUST file prior to receiving Financial Aid.


  • Don’t PANIC!! Just be organized!
  • Don’t WAIT, FILE EARLY to avoid any costly delays
  • Don’t turn in incomplete, unreadable and unsigned documents; they will be returned to you with a second request.
  • Don’t turn in copies of income tax forms with incomplete data.
  • Don’t leave drug conviction question blank! A drug related conviction does not      mean that you are ineligible for aid. For more information, please contact our office at 662-562-3271 or email
  • Answer all questions, do not leave any blank.


  • Photocopies of your federal income tax return and all W-2s
  • Printouts of your completed FAFSA
  • Your Federal Student Aid Report
  • Photocopies of forms or information used to complete your FAFSA and all correspondence
  • Borrower copy of all Promissory Notes signed
  • Birth certificates on yourself and children if applicable

Financial aid is any grant, scholarship, part-time employment or loan offered for the express purpose of helping students pay for education related expenses. Such aid is usually provided by Federal, state, institutional, or private agencies. Northwest Mississippi Community College offers one or more of the various types of aid to students who apply and are found eligible.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

The FAFSA should be completed and submitted by April 15, or as soon as students and/or parents have filed prior year taxes.

Mississippi Tuition Assistance Grant (MTAG) Deadline: September 15

Mississippi Eminent Scholars Grant (MESG) Deadline: September 15

Higher Education legislative Plan (HELP) Deadline: March 31