Plan for Distributing Emergency Financial Aid Funds
Northwest Mississippi Community College (NWCC) has received $2,893,508 in emergency financial aid via the CARES Federal Economic Stimulus Package.
Emergency grants will be made available to NWCC students that submit an application and:
- Have incurred expenses related to the disruption of NWCC campus activities related to COVID-19;
- Were enrolled at NWCC during the spring 2020 semester in at least one face-to-face class, face-to-face lab, or clinical course on or prior to March 13, 2020;
- Filed a 2019-2020 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) OR you are eligible to file a FAFSA on or before applying for financial aid emergency funds in addition to meeting all of the following criteria:
a. Citizen or eligible non-citizen that is otherwise eligible to receive federal Title IV aid;
b. Assigned a valid Social Security number;
c. Registered with the Selective Service (if required);
d. Not have a conviction for the possession or sale of illegal drugs;
e. Completed a high school diploma, General Educational Development (GED), or approved home school diploma;
f. Enrolled in a degree-seeking program during the spring 2020 semester;
g. Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) guidelines;
h. Not be in default with any federal student loans or owe an over-payment on any federal grants;
If you meet the criteria outlined above and have not completed a FAFSA please complete the FAFSA in order to receive the emergency grant funds. The FAFSA can be completed at https://studentaid.gov . Northwest’s FAFSA school code is 002427.
Application Availability and Publication
- The Student Emergency Financial Aid Application link is located at the bottom of this page and will be emailed on May 19, 2020 to each potential student.
- Students will be informed of the Student Emergency Financial Aid Application through Canvas global announcements, their NWCC email account, the Ranger Alert text messaging service, and social media.
- Application Period
- The applications for Student Emergency Financial Aid will be available to NWCC students between May 19, 2020 and June 5, 2020.
- Students who have already completed the FAFSA only need to complete the emergency financial aid grant application.
- Students who have not completed their FAFSA will need to complete the emergency application and 2019-2020 FAFSA.
- Award Determination
Students who submit the application for Student Emergency Financial Aid during the application period will be awarded a base amount.
The estimated number of NWCC students eligible is 4,475.
NWCC will disburse funds to eligible students on or before June 19, 2020 who have completed the application process by the deadline of June 5,2020. Disbursements for applications received after June 5, 2020 will be delayed.
- Award Notification and Distribution
Students will be notified via their NWCC student email of their award status on or before June 17, 2020. If approved, emergency financial aid funds will be disbursed to NWCC students via BankMobile. If you have not yet logged in to your BankMobile account to setup your refund preferences, click here.
Any questions should be directed to email@example.com.