The Respiratory Therapy program, at the DeSoto Center, is fully accredited by the Committee on Accreditation for Respiratory Care. The Associate of Applied Science degree curriculum will prepare the graduate to assume the duties of an advanced level Respiratory Therapist.
Upon successful completion of the program the graduate will be registry eligible, enabling him/her to take the national credentialing exams.
Click here for course listings and details (Major 6093).
Click here for an Applicant Information Packet.
Respiratory Therapy Technology is the allied medical discipline that works under the direction of a physician to assist in the diagnosis, treatment and management of patients with cardiovascular and pulmonary disorders. Those patients range from premature infants to post-operative patients to the aged. During clinical practice the student will rotate through area hospitals where preceptors and clinical instructors will work closely with them allowing direct patient care.
Admission to the program is on a competitive basis. Meeting minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission into the program.
- It is suggested that the student speak with a Respiratory Therapy Program instructor for advising when registering for the prerequisite courses.
- Complete the prerequisite courses, Anatomy and Physiology I and II, before entering the program. (These may be taken during the summer before the August entrance date. The student will, however, still need to apply before May 1.) A&P I &II have to be completed with a C or better. Students that are taking A&P over the summer will only be considered if the class is not full in May.
- Observe a respiratory therapy department and the day-to-day activities of a therapist and complete the observation log.
- Before May 1, send the following information to: Northwest Mississippi Community College/DeSoto Center |Director, Respiratory Therapy Program |5197 W.E. Ross Parkway |Southaven, MS 38671: 1) Respiratory Therapy Program Application 2) ACT composite score of 18 3) High school transcript 4) College transcript(s) if applicable 5) Respiratory department observation log
- Send the following information to the Senatobia campus:Northwest Mississippi Community College | Registrar’s Office |4975 Highway 51 North |Senatobia, MS 38668: 1) Northwest Mississippi Community College Application 2) ACT score 3) High school transcript 4) College transcript(s) if applicable
Applicants with a bachelor’s degree or greater may waive the ACT score if they have a GPA of 3.25 or better on the academic courses required in the curriculum and have taken their science courses within the last five years. Science courses older than five years will have to be repeated. Preference is given to Mississippi residents as well as those who have taken their prerequisites at Northwest Mississippi Community College.
If the class is not full, remaining positions will be filled by selecting applicants who may not meet ALL of the minimum requirements but do present documentation of achievement specified below under “alternate qualifications.” ALTERNATE qualifications include, but are not limited to:
- courses and grades earned in traditional colleges and universities;
- courses and grades earned in post-secondary vocational or professional training programs (especially health related)
- documented work experience in a health-care facility in direct patient care.
Admission forms for Respiratory Therapy Program may be obtained by writing to the following address:
Director, Respiratory Therapy Program | Northwest Mississippi Community College/DeSoto Center | 5197 W. E. Ross Parkway
Southaven, MS 38671
Instructor: Regina Clark | Phone: 662-280-6151 | Office located at DeSoto Center
How much can I earn? What is the job outlook? Click here.