Complaint and Grievance Procedures
Title IV of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as well as Northwest policy prohibit institutional discrimination against students on the basis of race, sex, color, creed, national origin or disability. Students who have reason to believe that their rights under law or campus policy have been denied in such areas as admissions, financial assistance, employment, residence hall assignment, disciplinary actions or other campus matters may seek to resolve them in the following manner:

1. Address a written statement to the Vice President for Student Services setting forth the grievance and the remedy sought. Students (particularly those enrolled in eLearning or other distance learning programs) may submit the statement through electronic mail.

2. The Vice President will forward a copy of the grievance to the appropriate individual within five working days of receipt of the statement.

A. If a complaint raises an academic question, it will be forwarded to the Dean of the appropriate academic division.

B. If the complaint raises a nonacademic matter, it will be forwarded to the administrative head of the appropriate unit.

3. Within five working days after receipt of the statement, the Dean or Administrator shall make initial contact with the complainant. The Dean or Administrator may receive both oral and written presentations and may make independent inquiry. Within fifteen working days after the initial contact or meeting, the Dean or Administrator will make a decision as to the merits of the student’s grievance. A copy of the decision will be sent to all parties of the statement and the Vice President for Student Services.

In the event that the student is not satisfied with the resolution of the grievance, appeal may be made to the Vice President responsible for the Unit or Division involved, and then to the President.

Students and members of the public wishing to file a written complaint, as opposed to a formal grievance, should do so with a member of the President’s Cabinet, which is composed of the senior administrators of the College. A list of members may be obtained from the President’s Office or from any Vice President.

Main Menu
User Menu
Scroll Up Skip to content