Why Adult Basic Education?
In order to be competitive in today’s workplace, it is essential that an individual prepare themselves by successfully developing and maintaining certain skills and abilities.
The Adult Basic Education Program at Northwest Mississippi Community College is dedicated to serving our communities by offering quality educational training and transitioning assistance to individuals who are in need of improving and enhancing the skills that will help them to effectively transition into diverse work and educational settings.
What assistance does the ABE Program provide to students?
- mastering basic reading, math, language arts and writing skills
- preparing for the GED tests
- increasing scores on the WorkKeys tests
- transitioning to college, career-technical training, workforce development training or the military
- improving job readiness and computer skills
These classes are offered for no charge. Pearson Vue charges $30 per test. You may, however, qualify for GED test vouchers at no cost.
College and Career after GED
After passing the GED, students often pursue their Associate Degree at Northwest Mississippi Community College. Scholarships are available to make getting a college degree even more affordable. Find out more about the Howard Carpenter Scholarship today!
Find ABE/GED classes near you:
- Holly Springs
- Olive Branch
GED testing is now computer based. All dates are available on www.ged.com website. You will need to create an account in order to view the available dates and locations of testing sites. This will be your personal account so you will need to secure your login information and verify that the information is correct (SS#, DOB, etc.). This is where you will schedule your tests. Each sub-test is $30.00. You must bring a valid state issued ID in order to take the test.
- Teacher Aide Certification
- Beginning and Intermediate ABE
- Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced English as a Second Language (ESL)
- All persons who do not fall under the compulsory school attendance law, in regards to age, and who are no longer enrolled in school
- Business/Industrial Employees and Community Residents
- Teacher Aides
- Paid instructors
- Material for class at no cost to student
- Practice for taking the GED test
- Individualized lessons to meet student needs
- Confidential assessment and counseling with student about progress
- Preparation and testing for teacher aide certification