Things the LPN Should know BEFORE starting the IV Certification Course
The Mississippi LPN Association (MLPNA) in collaboration with Jones County Junior College, Northwest Community College and the Mississippi Board of Nursing welcomes you to the Mississippi LPN Expanded Role in IV Certification Course. The course arrangement is comparable to a hybrid college course with online and clinical components. The expanded role curriculum is established by the Mississippi Board of Nursing and can be found on the website: http://www.msbn.state.ms.us
BEFORE starting the course the LPN must submit the following documents required by the Mississippi Board of Nursing
- Send email to MLPNA expressing your interest in the course and requesting the next dates of enrollment to email@example.com . Course is typically offered in the Fall and Spring.
- Pre-admission Screening – Form #PIV16 5/05MBON located on the MLPNA website below this document.
- Application for Certification in the Expanded Role of IV Therapy –Form #PIVHD2 dated 7/11/11. Go to http://www.msbn.state.ms.us >licensure>applications>RN Instructor packet> scroll down to PAGE 10 and fill in this application, then PRINT IT and have the FORM NOTARIZED
- Submit a copy of your college transcript.
- Verification of one year of clinical experience as a LPN within the past 3 years.
- Choose a Clinical Site and fill out the application. CHOOSE ONE ONLY
- You will be notified by MLPNA if your application is complete and accepted. Payment in full for Theory and Clinical component are due 5 days before the start of the class.
THE ABOVE FORMS MUST BE MAILED TO:
MISSISSIPPI LPN ASSOCIATION
P.O. BOX 1495
LAUREL, MS 39441
- Payment of theory course is via PayPal at www.mslpn.org. Cost $6.25 per hour x 40 hours = $250.00 is due at the time of registration and must be made by course start date.
- Payment of the clinical course at Cost $3.75 per hour x 40 hours + supplies =$150.00 is due at the time of registration and must be made by course start date. Clinical payment is made to the clinical site of choice and must be accompanied by the college registration form
- Jones County Junior College
- Northwest Mississippi Community College
- Purchase the textbook (shown below) with the student CD (A used book is acceptable but you will need the Student CD to complete the assignments)
Intravenous Therapy for Health Care Personnel
Summary: Intravenous Therapy for Health Care Personnel is a one of a kind book for entry-level health care practitioners to learn the basics of IV therapy. This eight chapter text/workbook covers essential topics, including coverage within the scope of practice for Medical Assistants. The book and accompanying CD are highly visual and focus on application and understanding, as well as presenting real life situations that can occur during IV therapy and their necessary solutions.
Edition/Copyright: 08 Cover: Paperback Publisher: McGraw-‐Hill Publishing Company Year Published: 2008
Course description. The IV therapy course is divided into two components:
- Theory -‐ 40 Theory course is taken online. The LPN is expected to do readings and workbook assignments with the support of the text book; Intravenous Therapy for Health Care Personnel. Booth; AND view the provided PowerPoint presentations. The LPN will be tested in each of the 6 units with a minimum score of 80 required. A comprehensive online final exam will be given at the completion of the six units. The Course objectives and learning experience are listed in Mississippi Board of Nursing (MBON) Curriculum for LPN Expanded role LPN
- Lab/ Clinical – 40 hours or simulation lab equivalent. The clinical course will be arranged by the instructor(s) in groups based on number of participates. You will be contacted by clinical instructor via email with specific instructions during week four of the theory course. The LPN will be expected to do Lab and Clinical at either Jones County Junior College located at 900 South Court Street Ellisville, MS 39437 or Northwest Mississippi Community College located at 4975 Hwy 51 North Senatobia, MS The clinical skills as listed in the Mississippi Board of Nursing (MBON) Curriculum for LPN Expanded role LPN in IV therapy will be check off in the lab and/or clinical setting. The lab will be simulated skills and the use of an IV Simulator.
The LPN will be expected to wear clean scrubs, leather shoes and visible name tag for lab/clinical.
MLPNA hopes that you will take advantage of this exceptional educational offering. If you have additional questions email firstname.lastname@example.org.