The Cosmetology program is available at the Senatobia campus and the Lafayette-Yalobusha Technical Center in Oxford. The program prepares students to pass the Mississippi Board of Cosmetology practical and theory licensing examination. Students receive this preparation through classes and also by actual salon experience through the program’s salon facilities and its clientele.
Click here for course listings, details and application forms (Major 8035).
What does your program offer me?
The Cosmetology Program prepares individuals to care for hair, nails, and skin with emphasis on hygiene, sanitation, customer relations and salon management.
Furthermore, the program is intended to develop the student’s practical skills, theoretical knowledge and professional attitudes for success in the profession. The Cosmetology program is based on clock hours (1500 hours) rather than semester credit hours and takes three semesters (12 months) to complete.
Instructor Trainee Program: Click here for details and course listing.
Nail Tech Program: Click here for details and course listing. This program is now also offered at the Ashland campus.
How do I get in to the Cosmetology Program?
The Cosmetology Program accepts applications through June each year for the fall semester.
You must do the following:
- Submit Program Application to the Cosmetology Department AND
- Submit Official G.E.D. or high-school transcript
- Take the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE). Score will be submitted to the Cosmetology Department by the Testing Coordinator
- Have a Northwest application on file with the Registrar’s Office, complete with all supporting documentation, such as transcripts
Please contact the Department of Cosmetology at the location of interest:
- Senatobia campus: Corine Newsom, Instructor 662-562-3368 | Danita Denson, Instructor 662-560-4192
- Oxford campus: Heidi Riley, Instructor 662-238-7954
- Ashland campus: Cassandra Wilburn 662-224-8999
After these requirements are met, you will be considered by the date that your information was received.
Minimum requirements and expectations:
- You must be 17 years of age or older.
- You must be able to perform all requirements and meet State Board Standards.
- Follow the Cosmetology rules and regulations, outlined in the cosmetology handbook
- Be dedicated to completing the course of study
- Maintain strong attendance
- Take and pass the Mississippi State Board of Cosmetology examination
*Admission to the college does not guarantee admission into the Cosmetology program.
How much can I earn? What is the job outlook? Click here for more information.