For degree plans go to myNWCC and click on the Degree Plans tab.
The Cosmetology program is available at the Senatobia campus, Benton-Marshall campus and the Lafayette-Yalobusha Technical Center in Oxford. The program prepares students to pass the Mississippi Board of Cosmetology practical and theory licensing examination. Students receive this preparation through an active-learning classroom setting and also through hands-on live work at each campus salon.
What does the program offer me?
The Cosmetology Program prepares individuals to care for hair, nails, and skin with emphasis on hygiene, sanitation, customer relations and salon management. Furthermore, the program is intended to develop the student’s practical skills, theoretical knowledge and professional attitudes for success in the profession. The Cosmetology program is based on clock hours (1500 hours) rather than semester credit hours and takes three semesters (12 months) to complete.
Instructor Trainee Program: Offered at Senatobia & Ashland campus only
This instructional program prepares individuals to teach Cosmetology. Satisfactory completion of the course qualifies students for the Mississippi State Board of Cosmetology Instructor Examination.
Special admissions requirements: Students who wish to enter the Cosmetology Instructor
Trainee Program must:
1. Hold a current Mississippi license to practice in the field of cosmetology.
2. Be at least 20 years of age.
3. Have a high school diploma or GED.
4. Be a graduate of a licensed cosmetology school in Mississippi or any other state.
5. Have documentation of two years active practical experience as a licensed cosmetologist.
6. Must have completed one Mississippi Cosmetology Board “methods of teaching” seminar and have completed 12 semester hours in college courses approved by the Mississippi Cosmetology Board.
Nail Tech Program*: This 350-hour instructional non-credit program prepares individuals to care for nails with emphasis on hygiene, sanitation, customer relations, and salon management. Satisfactory completion of the course qualifies students for the Mississippi State Board of Cosmetology, Manicure/Nail Technician certification examination.
*Programs available nights and days each semester on the Senatobia campus as needed.
How do I get in to the Cosmetology Program?
The Cosmetology Program accepts applications through June each year for the fall semester. Cosmetology Program Application form
- You must be at least 17 years of age.
- You must have a Northwest application on file with the Registrar’s office**.
- You must have a Cosmetology Program application on file with the appropriate campus.
- You must have an official G.E.D. equivalency or official high-school diploma on file with BOTH the Registrar’s office and the Cosmetology Department.
- You must be able to perform all requirements and meet State Board Standards.
**Admission to the college does not guarantee admission into the Cosmetology program.
Minimum requirements and expectations:
- Follow the Cosmetology rules and regulations, outlined in the cosmetology handbook
- Follow all NWCC and NWCC Cosmetology rules and policies.
- Be dedicated to completing the course of study.
- Maintain strong attendance.
- Take and pass the Mississippi State Board of Cosmetology examination.
Please contact the Department of Cosmetology at the location of interest:
- Application process for Senatobia & Ashland contact: Robin Douglas, Asst. Dean CTWE 662-562-3233
- Application process for Oxford campus contact: Lori Frazier 662 281 1149
- Senatobia campus: Corine Newsom, Instructor 662-562-3368 | Danita Denson, Instructor 662-560-4192
- Oxford campus: Heidi Riley, Instructor 662-238-7954
- Ashland campus: Cassandra Wilburn, Instructor 662-224-8999
How much can I earn? What is the job outlook? Click here for more information.