NEW FOUR-WEEK COMMERCIAL DRIVER’S LICENSE (CDL) TRAINING COURSE
Thinking about entering the trucking industry? Northwest Mississippi Community College can get you on the road to success with its new four-week CDL training course, designed to help you prepare to pass licensing exams for the tri-state area. Enrollment is limited. Call (662) 280-6124 for more information.
The Commercial Truck Driving program, located on the Olive Branch campus, prepares students for occupations in the trucking industry. It is an 8-week course which meets five days per week. In presenting the material, the instructor uses both the lecture and demonstration method of teaching with active participation and practice by the students. Upon successful completion of the 240 hours, the student is awarded a certificate and nine semester hours credit.
1. Must have high school diploma or GED equivalency.
2. Must be 21 years of age.
3. Must be able to produce a valid driver’s license. (Commercial License not required for admission – should be capable of meeting requirements.)
4. Must be capable of driving a manual transmission.
5. Instructor will pull an official driver’s record.
6. Must complete D.O.T. physical and drug screen before acceptance.
7. Must have CDL learner’s permit.
8. Must complete criminal background check.
The Commercial Truck Driving curriculum consists of four general categories:
1. Classroom – Department of Transportation regulations, demonstrations, freight handling, defensive driving, accidents, insurance, customer relations, maintenance of equipment, etc.
2. Field Work – Basic driving skills, handling of equipment, yard tests, various transmission, etc.
3. Road Driving – Actual day and night highway driving.
4. City Driving – Actual driving in city traffic.
Download the Information pack and Application Form here.
For degree plans go to myNWCC and click on the Degree Plans tab.
- Instructor: Keith Wilbanks | Phone: 662-280-6181 | Office location: Olive Branch campus
- Counselor: Candis Walker | Phone: 662-280-6124 | Office location: DeSoto Center
- How much can I earn? What is the job outlook? Click here.