Dear Northwest Students, Faculty, and Staff:
Northwest Mississippi Community College officials have been actively monitoring the spread of the novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19). We remain in regular contact with the Mississippi Department of Health and other health officials, as well as other community colleges and universities in our state and region. The College is committed to taking all necessary precautions to keep our students, faculty, staff, and the community as safe as possible. Because of the continued spread of the virus, I am writing to update you on some major changes we are instituting as we do our part in mitigating the spread of the virus in our communities:
- In keeping with other community colleges and universities in our state and region, Northwest is extending spring break until Monday, March 23. This decision will allow us additional time to monitor the spread of the virus, as well as prepare to migrate many on-ground classes to online delivery, or prepare alternative schedules for those courses that do not readily transfer to online delivery mode.
- Dual enrollment classes that meet in the high school will continue as scheduled.
- The residence halls and the cafeteria will remain closed next week. More information will be forthcoming.
- All intercollegiate sporting events and practices are cancelled through April 3. Any fine arts performances and student activities scheduled for next week, such as the Spring Culinary Lunch, the Beauty Review and the Singers Concert, are postponed until further notice.
- Faculty and staff will return to work on Monday, March 16. We will maintain regular operations, engage in additional contingency planning, and prepare for a potential move to virtual or alternative instructional modes. Deans and Directors will be in contact with individual departments to provide guidance.
- Employees who have traveled to high-risk areas are asked to self-quarantine. Employees with special risk factors as described in CDC guidelines should consult with their supervisor before returning to work.
Let me assure you that these decisions were not made lightly. Our actions are consistent with the recommendations of health officials and in concert with other institutions.
For more information on college planning, health and cleanliness precautions, as well as updates on classes and events, please visit our COVID-19 webpage at the Northwest website: www.northwestms.edu.
For more information on Coronavirus, please visit the Centers for Disease Control website at www.coronavirus.gov or the Mississippi Department of Health at https://msdh.ms.gov/msdhsite/_static/14,0,420.html.
Thank you for your continued patience as we work together to ensure the health and safety of our community.
Dr. Michael J. Heindl
Date: March 12, 2020.