Job Title: Communications Specialist
The Communications Specialist assists the Director of Communications in the strategic communications and marketing of the college through a comprehensive effort. This effort includes creation and distribution of various internal and external communications, providing accurate information through college publications and serving as head writer, photographer and liaison between the college and the news media.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Developing and implementing a weekly e-newsletter to be distributed internally to college employees in an effort to improve campus communications;
- Developing and implementing various other internal and external communications;
- Publicizing and promoting the college through utilization of all news media as well as Merit software system;
- Updating the news desk section of the college’s website;
- Serving as the principle writer for the department;
- Work with internal departments of the college in producing publications and digital communications;
- Serving as a news and events photographer and working with internal customers in taking photos for news releases and for brochures and publications as needed;
- Assisting with management of the college’s social media accounts and contributing posts as needed;
- Serving as a consultant to the student yearbook and working with students and the adviser in producing this publication;
- Performing other related duties as requested by the Director of Strategic Communications and/or the Chief of Staff.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Journalism or Integrated Marketing Communications major preferred.
- Must have worked in a college or corporate public relations/publications environment.
- Must be able to use Macintosh computers and be proficient in use of software that includes: Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Microsoft Word and QuarkXPress. Experience in Merit media distribution software and/or web CRM a plus.
- Must be proficient in the use of AP style and in journalistic writing, form and rules. One writing sample is required with application; additional samples of various writing styles (news writing, feature writing) will be required at interview.
- Must have layout and design skills and provide samples of work at interview. Experience in designing graphics for use on digital platforms a plus.
- Must have photography skills and provide samples of work at interview.
- Must have experience in the management of various social media channels.
- Must be detail-oriented with the ability to gather, process, organize and compile various types of information for use in newsletters, news releases and college publications.
- Must be able to multi-task and complete projects on a deadline. The successful candidate will have experience working with the public and will demonstrate excellent verbal, written and communication skills.
- Must be willing to occasionally work after hours to cover college events (Homecoming, Fine Arts events, receptions, etc.)
Salary: To be determined, based upon qualifications and experience
Deadline for Application: 11/11/2019