Position: Assistant Director/Assistant Chief of Campus Police
Reports To: Director/Chief of Campus Police
This is highly responsible administrative and managerial police work concerned with planning and directing the activities of the Campus Police Department. Work is performed in accordance with established policies and procedures. An employee in this classification has considerable latitude in the exercise of individual initiative in the performance of duties and responsibilities. Assistance is provided to the Director of Campus Police in planning and directing the activities of the Campus Police Department, and in coordinating these efforts with those of other law enforcement agencies. Duties are performed under general supervision of the Director of Campus Police
- Must be a certified police officer in the State of Mississippi.
- Minimum of 10 years service as a sworn law enforcement officer.
- Prior law enforcement experience as a supervisor with administrative responsibilities.
- Associates Degree preferred
- Plans, directs and oversees the daily operations of the Campus Police Department. Ensures that optimum efficiency and effectiveness are obtained.
- Assists the Director of Campus Police in varied administrative, planning or coordinating functions; assists in the preparation of the annual operating budget for the Police Department; receives and carries out special assignments.
- Effects changes in organizational and operational procedures to obtain desired results.
- Confers with subordinate officers to transmit departmental directives and objectives; effects authorized procedural changes; provides advice or assistance with difficult or unusual problems.
- Takes charge of major incidents where unusual or very difficult circumstances exist, in the absence of the Director of Campus Police
- Performs related work as required.
- Serves as Official Designee in the absence of the Director of Campus Police.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Extensive knowledge of modern principles and practices of police administration and police operations.
- Extensive knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, as well as college policies and procedures, and court rulings which govern and affect college police operations and practices.
- Knowledge of the principles of management, including functions concerned with personnel and of administrative and supervisory practices and methods.
- Skill in dealing with problems concerning public relations and the ability to foster campus community confidence and interest in the work of the department.
- Skill in the use of firearms and other police equipment.
- Ability to plan, organize and effectively direct the operations of the Campus Police Department.
- Ability and willingness to effectively speak before public groups on topics related to the Campus Police Department and law enforcement.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to prepare clear and comprehensive reports and letters.
POSTED: July 29, 2019
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: August 29, 2019